Saturday, April 07, 2007

Clean Much?

Okay…here’s something ditzy. I’d noticed some time ago that my monitor had this swatch of different looking surface glass. It was like it had burned or something. I know it wasn’t the sort of monitor burn that happens when you leave the same thing up on your screen for days on end. It was like a band 3 inches wide across the upper part of the screen. Very strange. And, it began bothering me. I’m figuring my monitor is on its way out and this is the first step. This has been going on for a long time. I actually have trouble with the dimmer part.

Duh. I cleaned it today. I used to smoke. Years ago. That’s how long it’s been since this monitor has been cleaned? I…well…maybe. I was cleaning one of the shelves nearby and had enough clean area on my paper towel to do a good swipe of the monitor. I happened to look at the towel (was using Lysol 3 in 1 Disinfectant) and saw a smear of black. What? That had never happened before. I looked at the monitor. It couldn’t be. Yet, I hadn’t cleaned anything else with that particular part of the towel. I set to work scrubbing and a bit more came off. I thought, “Oh, crap, now I’m taking off the protective coating on the monitor.” Except where it had come off was nice and clean and I could see better.

That’s when I remember how I used to smoke while I was using this monitor. Right. Except this is on like iron. So, even with vigorous scrubbing and the super cleaner it still wasn’t coming off quickly. I didn’t want to take a scrubber pad to it because I know I’d scratch the glass. Then I remembered. DeeDude just bought two boxes of Mr. Clean magic erasers and was using them to clean the shower. He’d left one in the bathroom. They don’t last long, but they do clean real good. I snagged it and the thing is blacker than anything and my monitor is a whole lot cleaner than it’s been in years.

No comments: