Friday, May 11, 2007

Messy Me

When I pull in my email I can count on seeing specific ones day in and day out. I don’t always look at them, but I bought something from these folks at one time or I signed up to join their forum and asked for their daily digest of messages. Like I said, I don’t make it a habit to read each and every one of them. Sometimes, I will save them up and every couple of weeks delete a whole bunch at once leaving one to look at. That’s enough to satisfy me.

You might ask, “Why don’t you just tell them not to send their stuff anymore?” Well, even though I am not reading each and every one of them I do still want to read them every once in a while. The easiest way to do that is to have one of them handy and in a more prominent place in my inbox…like up front and center rather than buried 150 deep. Also, it’s like making cold calls. Nobody likes to do it, but many times, in a job where you must convince somebody else to give you their money you have to. It’s just that waiting for them to come to you doesn’t always work well. But, when you’re making cold calls you can figure that you’re going to get one nibble from every hundred calls you make. I might read one email out of a hundred from the forums I’ve signed up for or from the companies I’ve used in the past.

I don’t know if other people handle their stuff the same way, but if I’m not able to “see” something sitting in front of me I’m not likely to do it. My mind just isn’t the steel trap it used to be. I accept that and use post-it notes to remind me.

So, what was the point of this post? Not really any point at all. It was just that I was thinking of cleaning up my study at home for my big weekend project and I believe I began to justify in my mind why it should stay messy. What can I say? I’m a slob.

No comments: