Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hmmmm

There’s that old saying that variety is the spice of life. I too am easily amused with some of the email newsletters that I’ve signed up for. My favorites are the craft or the recipe of the day. I might not read every single one of them that hits my mailbox, but I know that they arrived.

So, if I like it why could I not do something similar I ask myself? Well, the first thing I think of is that it’s too much like work and I’ve already got a job. The closest I come to something sent out on a regular basis is my own Talking to Spirit newsletter. I’ve been doing it for 3 years and it has slowly evolved into something that I’m comfortable with…on a monthly basis, but not on a daily basis.

I believe I need to get back to basics. Intellectually I am familiar with the concept of garbage in and garbage out. I need to refresh and renew a bit more than I’ve been doing lately. All that floats to the surface right now are a lot of whining excuses: I’ve been sick. I’ve been under a lot of pressure lately. My back hurts. I have diarrhea. I suppose if I thought hard enough I could come up with some more. But, right there, I’m putting effort into whining that I could just as easily put into doing something more creative. So, maybe I should look into why I’m whining. Oh, and my stomach is hurting. I forgot that.

Oh, alright, since, this has morphed into a blog entry, let me just detail what I did yesterday. I replaced my destroyed keyboard (cat threw up on it…see blog entry about that here) with a really snazzy Microsoft ergonomic cordless 7000 version that came with an ergonomic mouse. I’m really liking it. You can position it 3 ways: back end higher, front end higher or flat. I’m using it flat right now. It’s got a zoom button in the middle that I’m using more and more. It’s got 5 programmable Favorite keys running along the top that I’ve already configured: one to open the folder I put current photographs in, one to see how much money I made on Google, one to go to Blogger.com and one to go to Netflix.com (I love to watch the on-demand movies). The last one has not been configured. There’s also a button to push so you can see how you configured them just in case you forget (I have). I’m thinking about labeling them. I also got a $20 mail in rebate I need to prepare. Total on the keyboard and mouse was $119 or $99 once I get my rebate.

The other thing I did was to happen upon a terrific sale at Beverly’s down at Southshore Mall in Alameda. $1.97 a yard for a huge pile of calico prints. I busted the bank on that one. Came home and told DeeDude I’d gotten my birthday present. The minimum purchase on most of the yardage was 3 yards, though there were at least 2 more where I told the lady to just keep measuring until we came to the end of the bolt…generally about another 2 yards more. I figured I might as well just use it up rather than leave a weeney piece for somebody else to regret more hadn’t been left. Funny, I tend to use the same approach as I eat. Anyway, I’m thrilled with the purchase. Figure I might even be able to make myself some gowns. Also have plans for some sit-upons for the cats and some of the chairs they’ve been using as scratching posts. And, of course, the insides of some tote bags. Notice in the picture an inquisitive cat coming in from the right. That's Shelby. She helps out with the various projects people do in the house.

The things I want to do today are to do a bit of ironing. It shouldn’t take more than half an hour. Also, I want to clean up my study. I got a set of terrific plastic storage boxes (large shoe box size) yesterday at Office Depot that should assist with organizing my craft stuff. Barb will come over for a computer lesson in the afternoon and that will be about 2 hours. Last week was really productive. I’ll have to look at our list to see what we can focus on today. And, I need to update my Spanish blog. Actually, I ought to spend about an hour with my Spanish lessons. That might be more productive. I’ve started listening to Spanish language radio broadcasts when I’m in the car just to get my ear better tuned. Don’t understand but one word in 20, but you gotta start somewhere.

So, that’s it. Off to the races.

No comments: